Testimony of Vanessa JAUME, Distribution Logistics Manager, Ferdinand Bilstein How did you hear about TOD? Why did you choose to ...
Agility has become one of the essential qualities of the company today to guarantee its place in the economy…
Agility has become one of the essential qualities of today’s companies in order to guarantee their place in the economy, to remain permanently connected to the latest developments and to anticipate the next developments. The expertise, mobility and commitment of “free lances” are considerable assets for the success of a business project, especially if it involves periods of transition and change.
Freelancers, because of their wealth of experience, their ability to take a fresh look at things, and their adaptability, are going to take up a growing place in teams. They already represent, in 2014, 34% of the active population in the United States (Edelman Berland – A national Survey of the New Workforce (2014) when in France they are barely more than 3%.
The first reasons that push companies to turn to independent executive communities are based on classic and measurable managerial criteria: to respond without delay to needs, to have specific skills, to control costs, to attract temporary talent on a challenging project in unattractive areas or sectors.
The first reason for using freelancers is the search for reactivity and efficiency: access to large and diverse communities makes it possible to respond to specific, targeted needs for expertise or skills and to react in real time, without the need for a training or integration program, without having to wait for the time of a traditional recruitment or the availability of an internal employee.
The second reason is economic and is based on the flexibility of the offer and the control of human resources costs. The promise is clear: you only have and pay for the skills and talents you really need; they are immediately operational and fully committed from day one to the last day of their service. By way of comparison, in France, only 11% of employees are fully engaged (Gallup 2011 survey figures) and the consequences in terms of loss of competitiveness of this disengagement of the remaining 89% are considerable.
The real advantages of sharing talent are actually elsewhere. The cohabitation in the company of long-term employees with talents that are “plugged in” for a few days or a few years, for the duration of a project or a position, makes it possible to inject new energy, to regenerate teams, to open them up to other perspectives, to enrich them with outside experience…
After several years in a company, views converge, visions align and without external confrontation, views become accustomed to what they see and no longer reflect an objective vision of the strengths and weaknesses of the situation.
The external manager has the independence and freedom of speech that is essential for initiating change. Beyond his technical skills and his commitment, which ensure the renewal of his missions, beyond the fulfillment of his contract, the holding of his position or the achievement of the expected results, an independent executive brings above all a new perspective: he transmits his experience in the team that welcomes him, he is enriched in turn by these exchanges, he shares his enthusiasm, his desire to win. Through these behaviors, he becomes a catalyst for change and a performance accelerator. In other words, he unleashes the individual and collective potential of teams.